Breaking India News Today | In-Depth Reports & Analysis – IndiaNewsWeekBreaking India News Today | In-Depth Reports & Analysis – IndiaNewsWeek
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Technology
  • Auto News
Reading: Assam’s Electoral Roll Revision: Over 10 Lakh Names Targeted for Deletion
Share
Breaking India News Today | In-Depth Reports & Analysis – IndiaNewsWeekBreaking India News Today | In-Depth Reports & Analysis – IndiaNewsWeek
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Technology
  • Auto News
© 2024 All Rights Reserved | Powered by India News Week
Trending Now: Stay updated with the latest breaking news from India and around the world
Over 10 lakh names identified for deletion in Assam electoral roll revision
Breaking India News Today | In-Depth Reports & Analysis – IndiaNewsWeek > Nation > Assam’s Electoral Roll Revision: Over 10 Lakh Names Targeted for Deletion
Nation

Assam’s Electoral Roll Revision: Over 10 Lakh Names Targeted for Deletion

Nation Desk By Nation Desk December 29, 2025 5 Min Read
Share
SHARE

Over 10.56 lakh voter names have been identified for deletion in Assam following a house-to-house verification exercise conducted as part of a special revision of electoral rolls, the Election Commission of India said on Saturday.

The total number of electors in Assam, according to the CEO’s office, is 2,52,02,775. However, this includes more than 93,000 ‘D Voters’, whose cases are pending before Foreigners’ Tribunals and who are not permitted to vote in elections until their citizenship is upheld by a court.

If these names are excluded, then the number of electors in the State stands at 2,51,09,754, each of whom was covered during 61,03,103 household visits across the State, the CEO’s office said.

Of the total, around 4.79 lakh names were flagged due to deaths, while over 5.23 lakh voters were found to have shifted from their registered addresses. Assam is scheduled to go to the Assembly polls next year.

Unlike 12 other states and Union Territories, Assam is not undergoing a special intensive revision of electoral rolls. Instead, on November 17, the Election Commission directed the state’s chief electoral officer to carry out a “special revision”, designating January 1, 2026 as the qualifying date for the exercise.

This directive came less than a month after Chief Election Commissioner Gyanesh Kumar announced, on October 27, a special intensive revision in West Bengal, Kerala, Rajasthan, Goa, Puducherry, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Lakshadweep, and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. 

At the time, Kumar said a separate order would be issued for Assam due to the distinct provisions of the Citizenship Act applicable to the state.

In Assam, door-to-door verification was carried out between November 22 and December 20, covering 61,03,103 households. The process did not include document verification, unlike the special intensive revision exercise conducted elsewhere.

Following the publication of the draft rolls, the period for filing claims and objections has begun and will continue until January 22, with the final electoral roll scheduled for release on February 10.

Meanwhile, across 11 states and Union Territories, around 3.6 crore voter names have been deleted so far as part of the special intensive revision. 

The draft electoral roll for Uttar Pradesh is set to be published on December 31, while the final rolls for all states and UTs where the exercise is underway are to be published on February 14.

In Bihar, where the revision was completed ahead of the November Assembly polls, at least 47 lakh voters were excluded from the final electoral roll published on September 30. In Kerala, 24.08 lakh voters were removed from the draft roll after the enumeration process.

The Election Commission has also removed 97.3 lakh names from Tamil Nadu’s draft voter list and 73.7 lakh names from Gujarat during the special intensive revision of electoral rolls.

The large-scale deletions have raised concerns about the possible exclusion of eligible voters. Several petitioners have moved the Supreme Court of India challenging the exercise, particularly after the Bihar revision.

The post Over 10 lakh names identified for deletion in Assam electoral roll revision appeared first on Maktoob media.

TAGGED:National NewsNews
Share This Article
Twitter Copy Link
Previous Article Google Preferred Source IndiGo Launches New Flight Route from Tamil Nadu to Navi Mumbai Today
Next Article Winter floods wreak havoc on Gaza displacement camps as Israel blocks aid Winter Floods Devastate Gaza Camps Amid Aid Blockade
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Iran Ties Hormuz Strait Reopening to U.S. Policy Changes and Demands

August 19, 2026

Milwaukee Brewers Face Seattle Mariners in Exciting Series Preview

August 19, 2026
Augmont in talks with 8 MFs for gold, silver ETF liquidity ahead of ₹825 crore IPO

Augmont Negotiates with 8 Mutual Funds for Gold, Silver ETF Liquidity Before ₹825 Crore IPO

August 19, 2026

Israeli Raids and Settler Violence Injure Eight Palestinians Amid Rising Tensions in Region

August 19, 2026

Dollar Exchange Rate in Mexico on August 18, 2026: Latest Updates

August 19, 2026

British Student Denied US Entry Despite Valid Visa Due to Muslim Identity

August 19, 2026

You Might Also Like

Export procedures being streamlined to free regulators for value-added work: DCGI
Nation

Streamlined Export Procedures to Empower Regulators for Value-Added Tasks: DCGI

3 Min Read
JLR, Tata Communications partner for Next-Gen connected cars
Economy

JLR, Tata Comm collaborate on Next-Gen connected cars.

2 Min Read
Higher output hopes, lower offtake fears turn cotton outlook bearish
Economy

Bearish Cotton Outlook Due to Optimistic Output Prospects and Weak Demand Signals

2 Min Read
India moves European court after EU rejects its plea to access Pakistan’s proof on Basmati origin
Economy

India appeals to European court over EU’s refusal to access Pakistani proof on Basmati origin.

2 Min Read

About IndiaNewsWeek

IndiaNewsWeek is your trusted source for breaking news, in-depth analysis, and comprehensive coverage of India and the world. We deliver accurate, timely reporting across politics, economy, sports, entertainment, and technology.

contact@indianewsweek.com

Quick Links

  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • International
  • Sports
  • Entertainment

More Sections

  • Technology
  • Auto News
  • Education
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy

Stay Connected

Follow us on social media for the latest updates and breaking news.

Facebook
X (Twitter)
YouTube
Follow US
© 2026 IndiaNewsWeek. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?